The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced the release of its latest single-board computer, the Raspberry Pi 5. The new model is a significant upgrade over its predecessor, the Raspberry Pi 4, with a faster processor, more RAM, and improved connectivity.
Here is a summary of the key specifications of the Raspberry Pi 5:
- Processor: 64-bit quad-core Cortex-A78 at 2.0GHz
- RAM: 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB LPDDR5
- Storage: microSD card slot
- Video output: 2x HDMI (up to 4K resolution at 60Hz)
- Audio output: 3.5mm jack
- Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet, USB-C, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2
- GPIO header: 40-pin
- Power supply: 5V DC via USB-C
Improvements over the Raspberry Pi 4
The Raspberry Pi 5 offers a number of improvements over the Raspberry Pi 4, including:
- Faster processor: The Cortex-A78 CPU is up to 50% faster than the Cortex-A72 CPU in the Raspberry Pi 4.
- More RAM: The Raspberry Pi 5 is available with up to 16GB of RAM, which is twice the amount of RAM available on the Raspberry Pi 4. This makes the Raspberry Pi 5 suitable for more demanding applications, such as machine learning and video editing.
- Improved connectivity: The Raspberry Pi 5 has Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2, which offer faster speeds and better range than Wi-Fi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0. It also has a USB-C port, which can be used for both power and data transfer.
Price and availability
The Raspberry Pi 5 is expected to be released in the first half of 2024. Pricing has not yet been announced, but it is expected to be similar to the Raspberry Pi 4.
The Raspberry Pi 5 is a versatile device that can be used for a wide range of applications, including:
- Education: The Raspberry Pi is a popular tool for teaching computer science and programming. It is also used in STEM education to teach students about electronics, robotics, and other technical subjects.
- Home automation: The Raspberry Pi can be used to build a variety of home automation projects, such as smart thermostats, security systems, and lighting control systems.
- Media center: The Raspberry Pi can be used to build a media center that can stream movies, TV shows, and music. It can also be used to play games.
- Development board: The Raspberry Pi is a popular development board for software and hardware developers. It can be used to prototype new products and develop new applications.
The Raspberry Pi 5 is a significant upgrade over its predecessor, with a faster processor, more RAM, and improved connectivity. It is a versatile device that can be used for a wide range of applications, including education, home automation, media centers, and development.